There are a number of reasons you may want to replace windows in your Ottawa home, some of which may be cost-saving, aesthetic or functional. Generally speaking, you may not necessarily need to replace your windows if you maintain them well. But there are a few signs that your windows will give you so that you know you need to replace them. And here’s some of those reasons;
Indicators that old windows need to be replaced:
- Poor performance — If opening and closing your home’s windows is a difficult task, they you should consider replacing them. This is also about safety for emergency situations.
- If air leaks in, out or around the window, and adjustments to closing mechanisms and repair do not work.
- Condensation or fogging occurs on or between glass panes and repair does not work, then you should consider replacing your windows.
- Windows are painted or nailed shut and virtually impossible to open, then replacement may be the best route for aesthetically pleasant window.
- Chipping, wear and tear or stains on the window and around the window is a sure sign for the need to replace your windows
- Outdated design or style is also a factor to consider since it usually does not blend well with the rest of your home and affect the resale value of your home,
- If cleaning your windows is a major hassle and replacement parts are hard to find for windows, then replacement is the best route to go.
Style and lifestyle considerations
- Windows can get worn out much faster on one side of your home than the other due to differences in how they face sunlight and and exposure to weather elements.
- When replacing windows, keep in mind that you may not get the exact same model as before. New windows can differ in the type of style, as well as type of glass, and in advancement in technology.
- It is better to consider replacing all the windows on one side at the same time, in order to maintain a consistent and aesthetically pleasing look.
- The advantage of new replacement windows is that they can help seal out the sounds from the outside, whether it be from nature, traffic, or noisy neighbor, leaving your home quiet and peaceful.
Improve energy efficiency
- Replacing old style, and old technology single-pane windows with the more energy-efficient double- or triple-pane glazing newer windows can reduce heating and cooling costs very drastically and save your money.
- One consideration is to replacing fixed window units with operable venting windows and doors, which can improve air flow throughout your home, and reduce home cooling costs.
- It is important to look for products that meet Ontario’s ENERGY STAR® guidelines; selecting windows and doors meet these guidelines can help you save on heating and cooling costs.